Hiring Licensed Contractors
Monroe County requires all contractors to hold a Certificate of Competency (contractor’s license) in their trade, as well as liability and worker’s compensation insurance. There is no handyman license in Monroe County.
Here are some of the reasons why you should always hire a licensed contractor:
- By hiring an unlicensed contractor, you could be subject to a violation in the amount of $500 for aiding and abetting unlicensed activity.
- The unlicensed contractor is subject to a citation in the amount of $500 for not having a Certificate of Competency and/or proper insurance as required under Monroe County law.
- If the unlicensed contractor or contractor’s employee(s) is/are injured on your property, you may be liable.
- If the work performed by the unlicensed contractor is unsafe, does not meet the code, or is left unfinished, you may have no recourse.
- Your project will be stopped, and if applicable, after-the-fact fines may be assessed for work done without the benefit of a permit.
Don’t confuse Business Tax or an Occupational License for a Certificate of Competency. Licensed contractors will be able to provide you with proof and will be happy to do so.
If you are unsure about whom you’re hiring or want to check a license, please contact the Monroe County Building Department Licensing Coordinator at 305-289-2583 or visit mcesearch.monroecounty-fl.gov/home to search for licenses.