Additional Documents & Resources

Flood-proofing Grants

If your home is in a floodplain, has had flooding, or needs to be elevated above the minimum flood elevation, the county may be able to assist you to apply for a flood-proofing grant. 

Flood-proofing a structure includes engineered flood solutions such as structure elevation, flood vent installation, elevation of H-VAC and utilities, abandonment/fill, and demolition. 

The Monroe County floodplain management program provides technical assistance and submission for State and Federal grant programs. Participation in any grant is voluntary and is handled on a case-by-case basis for individual property owners. 

Restrictions may apply and eligibility limitations may exist for specific grants. A brief synopsis of some of the grants potentially available to Monroe County property owners is below.

FEMA Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP)

Following a Presidential Declaration of Major Disaster, the HMGP program is implemented in local communities to complete mitigation projects as identified and prioritized by local community leaders.

FEMA Pre-Disaster Mitigation Grant Program (PDM)

The purpose of the PDM grant program is to reduce and eliminate risk to community populations and structures prior to a disaster. Grants are made to states for local projects identified by a community’s Hazard Mitigation Plan.

FEMA Flood Mitigation Assistance Grant Program (FMA) 

The purpose of the FMA grant is to reduce or eliminate flood insurance claims to the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) on behalf of policyholders. Local projects require a flood insurance policy as well as the identification of local mitigation strategies for the properties applying and by the Community applying on behalf of property owners.

Florida State Housing Initiatives Partnership (SHIP) 

The SHIP program provides funding to local governments from the State to ensure affordable housing programs.

How Can I Get Technical Assistance?

To request technical assistance for onsite mitigation options on your property, including applying for grant funding or other resources mentioned above, please fill out the simple form below:


The following floodplain management resources are available for use:

Floodplain Management Applications:

Please refer to the Building Department’s website Permitting Fees, Forms and Application - Floodplain Management section for access to applications for transfer of ownership, certificate of compliance inspection or variance to flood hazard ordinance.