Monroe County Emergency Management has designed a County Volunteer site to connect with other County organizations and entities as well as Monroe County Emergency Management.
Volunteer efforts are important to the overall response success. Residents are encouraged to apply as a volunteer to assist Monroe County Emergency Management and the County in recovery efforts. During an emergency event, volunteers may be asked to help out in county shelters, the informational hotline, in the Emergency Operations Center, or other areas.
Monroe Emergency Reserve Corps
Monroe County Emergency Management believes that “strengthening the Florida Keys communities through volunteerism and service” is not just a mission statement, it is a way of life.
Following lessons learned from Hurricane Irma, Monroe County Emergency Management created a “Monroe Emergency Reserve Corps” that is made up of volunteers with a variety of talents and skills who would like to help in times of emergency in the Keys.
An inaugural meeting of this new emergency volunteer program was held on May 21, 2018 and led by Monroe County Emergency Management Director Marty Senterfitt. About 70 people attended the open discussion on how to best utilize the incredible untapped talents of the Keys residents and build a response capability that surpasses all expectations.
Citizen volunteers who go through Monroe County’s Community Emergency Response Training (CERT) and become part of the volunteer Monroe Emergency Reserve Corps can obtain early re-entry placards. To volunteer for this program, visit https://mercorps.org. For more information about FEMA's CERT program, go to FEMA CERT.
- The first phase is taking a free online FEMA course, FEMA IS-317 Introduction to CERT Opens a New Window. . It takes about 6 to 8 hours to complete.
Opens a New Window.
- The second phase includes 16 hours of in-person CERT training at locations throughout the Keys. These classes are taught by local CERT instructors.
- A third phase includes practical skills and exercises.
Other Local Volunteer Opportunities
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services Opens a New Window.
- Wildlife Rescue (F.A.V.O.R.) Big Pine Key Opens a New Window.
- Marathon Florida, Turtle Hospital Opens a New Window.
- Dolphin Research Center, Marathon Florida Opens a New Window.
- National Park Services, Florida Keys Opens a New Window.
- NOAA, Florida Keys Opens a New Window.
- The Conch Republic Marine Army
Disaster Relief Agencies Volunteer Opportunities
- American Red Cross Opens a New Window.
- Medical Reserve corps Opens a Opens a New Window. Medical Reserve corps Opens a New Window.Salvation Army Opens a New Window.
- United Way of the Florida Keys Opens a New Window.