Local Mitigation Strategy
Local Mitigation Strategy Working Group
Local Mitigation Strategy (LMS) is a plan that anticipates damage and disruption that could result from a hurricane or other disaster, and then determines how best to eliminate or at least reduce this damage. The Local Mitigation Strategy Working Group is a coalition of representatives who work together to identify risks and to set priorities for addressing these risks.
Once these priorities have been determined by the Planning Group, and put on a Master Initiatives List, the county is eligible for Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funding through Florida’s Division of Emergency Management (FDEM). Grant funds are intended to bring mitigation projects to fruition which would end up on a wish list otherwise. Part of Monroe County’s eligibility for this grant money is determined by meeting its requirement to facilitate LMS working group meetings.
The LMS working group had begun the process to revise the Master Initiatives list in April of 2017. Five months later, Hurricane Irma struck the Florida Keys, causing much damage throughout the County. Irma highlighted the importance of having a Local Mitigation Strategy, and provided urgency to the revision process.
The full group met in October 2017 and January 2018, The initiatives ranking sub-group met at least three times from March-May to score and prioritize the projects that had been submitted in February.
Now, various members are working on Hurricane Irma’s HMGP grant applications, which are due Aug. 6, 2018. These will be reviewed and then potentially awarded by the Florida Department of Emergency Management and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
Later this year, FEMA is expected to announce funding through the Flood Mitigation Assistance program and the Pre-Disaster Mitigation Assistance program. All funding is subject to availability.
Local Mitigation Strategy Plan
The Monroe County and Incorporated Municipalities LMS Plan is updated every five years. The 2015 updated Monroe County and Incorporated Municipalities Local Mitigation Strategy Plan is available to view. It is a ens a New Window. large document, so please allow extra time to upload.
Public Meetings and More Information
The public is invited and welcome to attend all meetings. The next meeting has not been scheduled.
For more information, please contact LMS Chair Jeff Manning at Monroe County Emergency Management at (305) 289-6325. Email all completed LMS forms to Jeff Manning at: email@example.com.
Active participants include Co-Chair Skip Haring and members of the Monroe County BOCC, all five municipalities in Monroe County, Monroe County School District, State and Federal government, utilities, non-profit agencies, representatives from businesses and the public.
Local Mitigation Strategy Forms
- LMS Step One: Preliminary Identified Initiative (Notice of Intent) Opens a New Window.
- LMS Step Two: Characterization Form Opens a New Window.
- LMS Goals and Priority Hazards Opens a New Window.
- LMS Project Prioritization Form Opens a New Window.
- Monroe County Local Mitigation Strategy Defined Opens a New Window.
Local Mitigation Strategy Toolbox
- Benefit Cost Analysis Tool Opens a New Window.
- The Florida Greenbook: Environment and Historic Preservation Compliance Opens a New Window.
- Hazard Analysis Toolbox Opens a New Window.
- Hazard Mitigation Assistance Unified Guidance Opens a New Window.
Initiatives Master List
- 2018 Master Initiatives List - May 18, 2018 Meeting
- 2015 Master Initiatives List Opens a New Window.
2018 Irma Residential Survey
LMS Working Group Latest Minutes/Presentation
- Florida Division of Emergency Management Mitigation Bureau Opens a New Window.
- FEMA Hazard Mitigation Assistance