Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)
Weatherization is a home modification program designed to lower the amount of energy a home consumes to make it more affordable and efficient. All work orders are based on the results of a no-cost energy audit that is performed by a State Certified Weatherization Inspector.
The Weatherization Assistance Program is the nation's core program for delivering energy efficiency services to qualifying households at no cost to the homeowner.
Weatherization crews address health and safety measures like:
- Air infiltration reduction: caulking, thresholds, weatherstripping, repair windows, window replacement (4), door replacement (1), minor floor repair, minor wall repair, minor ceiling repair.
- Indoor air quality
- Attic Insulation
- Solar window film
- Energy-efficient lighting and compact fluorescent lamps
- Inspection of the duct system
- Appliance and Refrigerator replacement
- Heating and cooling systems
- Water heater
- Low flow showerheads
Please complete the WAP Application Form and attach all necessary documents. NO APPLICATION CAN BE APPROVED WITHOUT ALL DOCUMENTATION
1. APPLICATION: Fully completed and signed Client Intake Form.
2. IDENTIFICATION: Copy of photo ID and Social Security card for each member of the household and proof of disability (if applicable).
3. INCOME: Proof of income for the past 12 months for each member of the household. i. Pay stubs, Social Security letter, tax returns, worker comp, veterans payments, private pensions, gifts OR A Self-declaration of income form swearing to your income.
4. OWNERSHIP: Copy of deed, tax receipt, title. OR Copy of lease or rental agreement if you rent. a. Renters must also provide Permission to Enter Premises Form and a Building Owner Agreement signed by the landlord.
5. UTILITY BILLS: A copy of your most recent electric bill.
Please note that receipt of application and information does not guarantee qualification for the program. Services for this program are provided based on a priority-ranking list, not on a first-come-first-serve basis.
Monroe County Social Services or its designated appointee reserves the right to postpone services if the premises are deemed unsafe or federal funding limits have been reached. Contact Monroe County Social Services for more information or to see if you qualify at 305-292-4405.
Energy Saving Tips
- Set thermostat between 75-78 degrees and clean or replace a/c filters monthly
- Set water heater to 115-120 degrees
- Wash clothes in cold water and hang to dry
- Use Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs
- Use dishwasher in energy saver mode with dryer off
- Use natural light or task lighting instead of whole room lighting
- Cover pots and pans with lids and match pan size to burner
- Set refrigerator to 38-40 degrees and keep the coils on refrigerator clean
- Keep your freezer full even if just with water bottles
- Seal cracks in windows, doors, and walls with caulk
- Use low flow shower heads and faucet aerators