Click to Home
Go To Search
Fire Marshal's Office FAQs
1. Does Monroe County recharge fire extinguishers?

Monroe County Fire Rescue does not recharge fire extinguishers. There are several fire extinguisher companies in the county that provide this service. You can locate these companies by looking in your phone book under fire extinguishers.

2. My house caught fire and Monroe County Fire Rescue put it out. My insurance company needs a copy of the fire report. How can I obtain this?

Records of every fire to which a Monroe County Fire Rescue unit responds are sent to our Fire Rescue Headquarters. Copies of these can be obtained by contacting the fire marshal at (305) 289-6368, Monday through Friday between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm. 

3. I just moved into a new home and my insurance company needs to know the distance between my home and the nearest fire station and fire hydrant. Where can I find this information?

The Monroe County Fire Marshal office can provide information regarding the distance between your home and the nearest fire station and fire hydrant. Contact the Fire Marshal at (305) 289-6368.

4. How do I report a leaking fire hydrant?

The Florida Keys Aqueduct Authority (FKAA) maintains fire hydrants and can be contacted on (305) 743-5409.

5. Who can I call to schedule a fire inspection for a new business or school or daycare facility?

The Monroe County Fire Marshals provide inspections for schools and daycares and all new businesses. Call (305) 289-6368 to schedule an inspection or fill in our online form.

6. How can I arrange to have a fire truck to come to my school, or to have my class visit a fire station?

If you would like to schedule a visit to the fire station you can contact Monroe County Fire Rescue Headquarters at (305) 289-6004. The on-duty Battalion Chief can arrange this for you.

7. How can I obtain a fireworks permit?

Fireworks permits must be obtained from the fire marshal at Monroe County Fire Rescue 90 days prior to the event. Contact the Fire Marshal at (305) 289-6368 and complete the Fireworks Permit Application.

8. How can I obtain a burn permit?

To obtain a burn permit or information on open burns, contact the Department of Forestry at (305) 872-9010.

9. What do I do with old paint, pesticides and other dangerous chemicals that I don't want?

These items can be disposed of free of charge at Monroe County’s three household hazardous waste collections centers during the following days and times:
  • Cudjoe Key Transfer Stations, Mile Marker 21.5
    First and third Wednesdays of the month
    8:00 am to 4:00 pm
  • Long Key Transfer Station, Mile Marker 68
    First and third Fridays of the month
    10:00 am to 2:00 pm
  • Key Largo Recycling Yard, Mile Marker 100.3
    Second and fourth Wednesdays of the month
    10:00 am to 2:00 pm

For more information, call (305) 295-4314.